Sunday, July 8, 2012

Oh Capcom...

How do I put this, I should say that I can't believe it, that it couldn't be possible that one of my favorite game companies from my childhood has turned the entire company into money grubbing whores. But that would be a lie after everything that has happened. It started with the release of Dead Rising 2 and the paid demo, that was unfortunate though I didn't want to count that as strike one, just an unfortunate lapse in judgement as with the dlc endcap that followed also xbox exclusive. I bought DR2 for PC, a game that was built for Game For Windows live but mind bogglingly did not have the ability to use the xbox controller out of the box. Something clicked in my mind that things weren't right in the land of Street Fighter and Megaman, so I began to watch closely...  Street Fighter had been releasing at regular intervals, first as dlc content then full games the Super Street Fighter Alpha Max Turbo Championship jokes hadn't been far off, three versions of IV have been released. Then came Marvel vs Capcom 3, six months afterwards came the $40 "super" version Ultimate Marvel vs Capcom 3. Not good, not good at all. Next batter, with the announcement of Megaman Legends 3 for 3ds, Capcom looked to be returning to some kind of normalcy. The announcement came that Capcom felt that MML3 wasn't moving along in the development process fast enough for their taste. It seems that Capcom no longer cares about the blue people. Sure they tease us by putting him in the background of UMVC3 but he doesn't appear (only as a paid DLC skin for Zero), not even the Super Nintendo X version, which leads us to Street Fighter X Tekken.
SFXT is a $60 fighting game that contains DLC, this is nothing new. What really causes the mental meltdown is trying to understand why all 12 of it's DLC characters are on the disc complete with you waiting to unlock them by keys. This strikes at the very heart of the concept of ownership in the 21st century. Is a man not entitled to the content he buys? No says Capcom, it belongs to us and we will say what you own and what we can charge you for later. The discovery was made months ago, so why am I bringing it up now? The price was just named for the 12 on disc characters... 20 dollars... TWENTY DOLLARS FOR SOMETHING YOU ALREADY PAID FOR!!! This is complete and utter bullshit of the highest order. And I will say it right now if you are more than happy to for over a Jackson for something you already paid for there is something horribly wrong with you. As a consumer you should be smarter than this and you should be calling for heads to roll at the company. As much of a fighting game fan as I am, I can not and WILL NOT abide by this shit not for one minute. You can not try to sell me an incomplete game and then try to sell me "added content" I already paid the entrance fee for. Could you imagine going into the theater after paying 10 bucks to see a movie and then being told it's an additional 7 dollars to see the ending of the movie? That bastard would be burnt down so fast I wouldn't have time to get the marshmallows. So why does this crap flow for video games? That very example actually happened with Mass Effect 3 another in a long line of reasons I don't do business with EA. I called this crap years ago and everyone shrugged it off. This has to end now, or else gaming is doomed.


No comments: